Sunday, April 15, 2012

Catch Up end of Feb, March and Beg of April

I got a bit behind due to my grandfather's illness, going out to visit him, my own treatment of an ongoing ear issue, and just general life happenings.  However while I may not have been writing about the new things I was very much doing new things, going to places, and trying new foods.  So in order to quickly catch up and because I really cannot remember what week some things happened I will just list some of the new experiences in one lump listing.

New Things #12-14
Starting the WSI class, finishing it, and then being offered a lead swim instructor position.  This is one of the reasons I have been to busy to keep of writing.  The classes were twice a week for several hours and the every Sat. morning I had the 3.5 of classes I was helping teach.  When I finished the class I am now a certified Water Safety Instructor.  The last few weeks, I have been co-teaching and getting paid for it finally.  When the next session of swim lessons starts I will be the lead teacher and have my own assistant and getting paid a slight bit more.

New Thing #15 Going completely dairy free.  I have for many years avoided milk due to a completely irrational phobia that it goes bad as soon as the milk is opened.  I cut icecream out of my diet a while back.  Due to the weighing on my conscious of the treatment of dairy cows and the amount of calories in cheese (though I love cheese so very much)  I cut out the rest of the dairy I ate in stages.  I cut out cheese first because I thought it would be the hardest.  Then I cut out kefir.  The last to go was greek yogurt and that was by far the hardest, I still miss that.  Soy and coconut yogurt are not even close whereas using avocado or hummus to sub for grilled cheese is tasty and there are some good vegan cheese pizzas.

New Things #16-19
New Airports that I have been to in my wanderings:  Newark, Laguardia, Boston, and BWI
Newark I recommend never going here, very dirty and run down. Laguardia was very big and busy, full of foreign languages and accents, and it even had excellent options for vegetarian snacks at the restaurants and kiosks.  The landing strip for Laguardia was right off of water so that is pretty cool. Boston had the excitement of needed to go through an under the Atlantic ocean tunnel to get to the airport so you land directly off of the water too.  BWI is a bit closer and easier to get to than Dulles and there is not much exciting to say about it.  It is an airport.

New Things #19-21
New Cities Explored
Boston- I spent the weekend of St. Patrick's Day with some great friends being a tourist, Sam Adams brewery tour, wandering and taste testing in Little Italy, found the one of the oldest farmer's markets and of course New Thing #19 went to a Drop Kick Murphy concert on St. Patrick's Day in Boston!
Gloucester, Va- Spent an with a friend and a delightfully laid back morning enjoying coffee with a gorgeous view.

New Thing #22 Assistant Stage Manager for a Tribal Delight, worked with some of my wonderful dancer and performer friends, and met some new amazing dancers.  Great show, great time, great venue.  I have seen a belly dance show there before but now I got to work backstage which is a magic all of it's own.

Things #23 & 24 New Recipes Cooked
Poached Egg- Never had one before.  Growing up I only had scrambled, hard boiled, or omelet style eggs.  So a poached egg was too exotic to even consider.  I have since experimented with trying over hard and over medium.  I still won't touch over easy- the too runny yolks still creep me out.  But I wanted to try cooking a poached egg.  It didn't turn out perfect but it came out of the water intact enough to eat.  Not my favorite way to eat an egg.
Roasted Garlic Soup- Vegetable broth, roasted garlic, rice noodles, and cilantro.  Yummy! and super easy!

New Thing #25 & 26 New Places in town
A newly opened LGBT friendly bar in town.  Went out for drinks and karaoke with a friend.
Went shooting pool, or attempting to.  At least I did not break or destroy anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment